Thursday, July 5, 2007

Indian Adult Stem Cell Research in HUMANS!

I have been considering the pros and cons of having cells delivered directly to the eye as opposed to systemically implanted. I have received injections in the eye of medications before. So a needle to the eye, while not my idea of a party, is not as awful as it sounds.

The biggest con is no one wants to play with me and injecting oneself in the eye is not exactly a “do it yourself” project. I have yet to see a pamphlet at the Home Depot outlining instructions. Perhaps they will offer a Saturday morning workshop entitled, "Intravitreal Injections for Amateurs", sandwiched between “Faux Painting” and “Drywall for Beginners”.

An anonymous email friend told me about some work being done in India. I found the information below.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~blindworld2/MEDICAL/6-04-19-01.htm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie! This New Delhi study sounds great! I noticed that the date of the article is April 2006, more than a year ago. Do you have any thoughts on how we might can get more current information on this study? Oh, and thanks so much for doing this blog!!! It sure helps to have a connection like this with other people who have RP. And thanks for being a friend!

Mom to brown eyed kids said...

Hi Tina,

Thanks for reading! I appreciate the encouraging comment. Below is information on Dr. Kumar as well as contact info.

Info on Dr. Kumar:

http://rpcentre.nic.in/atul/welcome.html

Contact info:

http://rpcentre.nic.in/about/Address.htm

You may need to "copy paste" the link info in to your browser.

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Natalie, on 7-7-07, I sent an email to the Dr. Rajender Prasad Centre for Opthalmic Sciences at AIIMS asking for updated info about the RP study but I still have not received a response. If you and your readers would like, I am willing to be a point person on this and keep trying. As soon as I find out something, I will pass it on. And my email address is tdlollar@cox.net, if anyone would like to check in.