Thursday, December 27, 2007

Cyclosporine and RP

I was emailing a Hungarian RPer today. Anyway, I remembered reading about a research study using cyclosporine for RP being conducted at Semmelweis, which is in Hungary. I relayed the info and then was bit by my terminal case of "curiosity killed the cat".

So, I started googling cyclosporine, retinal degeneration and did a patent search. Looks like Dr. Gholam Peyman, LASIKS patent holder, former professor and all around ophthalmology super star, holds a patent on using cyclosporine delivered via IOC for RP.

IOC is lingo for "needle in the eye". I can see why they use the term "IOC". Can you imagine sitting down with your RS and hearing, "We will be delivering this medication via our cutting edge 'needle in the eye' technique." And for the record, a needle in the eye does hurt.

The Hungarian study uses drops instead of IOC. There is some resistance to the idea that a drop can make it to the retina. Anyway, something interesting for the hobbyist. None of the journals offer that box to check on your subscription form. :) Guess I cannot make fun of my husband for playing video games with a hobby like "reading medical journals when I do not have to...."

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7083802-claims.html

No comments: