Thursday, June 7, 2007

Discussion wtih Dr. Sapse regarding decline

I have discussed my decline in vision with Dr. Sapse. He disagrees with my theory of the intractable mutant gene triggering a process that will just continue to destroy, kind of like the Pac Man gobbler. He agrees the antiretinal antibodies are the culprits. He is also not a fan of my HBOT idea. He told me this is a normal part of the process and improvements come in "batches". He said the improvement process is not linear in nature, more of a yo yo. I never have liked yo yos. I pray he is right. I have to remember I was just looking for a degenerative process that was not linear in nature, with a downhill trajectory.

He wants me to leave the driving to him and Gonzalez, relax and let the cells do their work. He is a patient man. I am used to leaving the driving to others, but, as my husband will attest, am notorious for backseat driving. Very annoying for any driver, particularly when I have no depth perception.

He also advised me to start taking a particular supplement. My internist is an expert on supplementation, so I get his advice on which supplements to take. When I asked him about this one, he promptly scheduled an appointment for us to talk, off the clock.

There are only two times physicians have done anything for me "off the clock". It is either the delivery of bad news or an invitation to go out for drinks. Since my internist is obviously very much in love with his gorgeous nurse who is also his wife, I really do not think it is the latter. So, I am meeting iwth him first thing Monday morning.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

Why doesn't Dr. Sapse support the HBOT idea? Why the regression after the spurt? If improvements come in spurts, why don't you retain any gains? Is it possible the stem cells have done their job and another implant needs to be put to work? What did he say you should expect going forward? I'm beginning to sound like my 5 year old w/ the endless questions so I will stop for now. I'm looking forward to new improvements on the horizon. "Seek and you will find."

Mom to brown eyed kids said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom to brown eyed kids said...

Hey Girl,

Thanks for the interest. I think your inquisitive nature is a blessing.

Why doesn't Dr. Sapse support the HBOT idea?

Could be he thinks it is a waste...could be he does not want to confound things. Do not know.

Why the regression after the spurt?

He explained how the cells do their work. He said this is normal.

If improvements come in spurts, why don't you retain any gains? Is it possible the stem cells have done their job and another implant needs to be put to work?

I think it is entirely possible. He disagrees.

What did he say you should expect going forward?

Did not say, I did not ask. Get the impression not many have gone before me, with the exception of the possibility of a French speaking gorilla.

I'm beginning to sound like my 5 year old w/ the endless questions so I will stop for now. I'm looking forward to new improvements on the horizon. "Seek and you will find."

Fromm your lips to God's ears.