Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Putting It Together

I honestly thought I was through with this for awhile. I was going to work on other projects. But, then again, what do I know?

I am still waiting on the yo yo. I am not very patient, obviously. So, in the case that I do not experience the upswing of the yo yo, I have a multi-pronged Plan B.

1) Calcium Channel Blocking Drugs- If I can get the appropriate dosage to a therapeutic level prior to my next implant, maybe the effects from the stem cells will last.

2) Following the next implant with a month long round of hyperbarics.

I am also going to continue to get labs done and monitor my liver and kidney function. If introducing these two factors does not have the desired effect, I will then move on to addressing the autoimmune components more aggressively. This always seems to be slippery as the drugs can be toxic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did Dr. Sapse or Dr. Gonzalez not tell you beforehand about the implant working in a yo-yo fashion? And they don't mention this yo-yo effect in any of their press releases or anywhere else, just that the implant is "effective".

Anonymous said...

So, after you get into this plan B with all these parts to it, and you do happen to see some benefit, how are you going to know which part was responsible?

Mom to brown eyed kids said...

Hi Anons,

To theissue of not knowing which one works, I do not believe the answer to the "RP Puzzle" will be the result of one magic bullet. I believe stem cells are PART of the answer, while controlling the expression of the mutant gene (s) and cellular suicidality is another piece. The immunological issues are there too. I have ideas for that component but will only address it if I need to.

I am also coming from the perspective of saving my own vision, with limited amounts of time and money. So, if I get results and someone is interested in the pure science of it, they can fund the trials it would take to figure it out.

With regards to why Sapse and Gonzalez do not disclose the "yo yo" effect, I think it is a great question-It is also best answered by them. The majority of their patients may or may not experience this. My RP is advanced.

I believe the treatment they currently provide is part of the puzzle amd more than anyone else has to offer.