Friday, May 4, 2007

NIght Vision for the First Time

Last night I got out of bed. My husband was asleep, so I did not turn on any lights. Usually in this situation, I navigate by memory and feel. Normally things look inky and black. I usually do not rely on sight at all in the dark.

Instead of everything being black, it was just dark. I could see the outlines of things around me.

It was so surreal. I remember looking over to the blinds, thinking my neighbor must have bought stadium lighting or something.

There is a picture of my husband and me on our bedroom wall. Last night was the first time I have seen this picture when it was dark. I actually walked over to the picture and touched it, to verify that what I thought I saw was actually there. Not only could I see the outline of the picture against the wall, but I could make out the location of our faces. I do not remember ever seeing like this at night.

I walked in to our living room and could see where the rug stops and the tile begins. I saw where the window coverings where. I saw the bar. I could see the outline of family photos against the wall. It was still dark, but wasn't inky black, impenetrable darkness.

This is the most confirming change I have experienced so far. It is easy to second guess and doubt myself with the visual field and contrast changes I have noticed. Night vision is more concrete. It is either black or it is not. Last night it was not black for the first time that I can remember.

4 comments:

Analisa said...

GOOD MORNING!!!

Analisa said...

Nat, this is my first blog to you. Now, I just read todays entry and I haven't talked to you since that dinner date with the crew, but WOW! You're going to have to fill me in later. THIS PROVES THAT YOUR EYES ARE TRYING TO HEAL!!! This has made my day!

Shelby said...

I vividly remember the first time (14 yrs ago) I realized you lacked night vision.We were near the top of a stadium at an event. The stadium lights were shining below but it was dim (not dark)where we stood. You were frustrated b/c you weren't taken seriously and wanted to go down. Sadly, this was the 1st time I really got it-you truly couldn't see at night! The significance of last night is HUGE!!!!

Mom to brown eyed kids said...

Thanks for the encouragment and support! I really appreciate it!!