Monday, May 14, 2007

Read Standard Print for Two Hours

While navigating the airport still requires the use of my compensatory "bag of tricks", I did have an exciting experience these past few days. I read a book for pleasure.

I used to be a voracious reader. I read anything and everything. One day, I noticed I no longer enjoyed reading. It had turned in to work. It is not that I could not read, it just took so long and required a lot of concentration.

Since I have modified my computer for my vision, I started using it for all of my reading. This is okay for getting information, but cozying up with a computer screen is not the same as a great novel on a rainy day. So, I just stopped reading fiction, bought an i-pod and started listening to music more often.

Before going on this trip, I went to the bookstore and purchased a book simply because I wanted to read it. I did not buy it based on the size or relative thickness of the font. Oh, this was nice.....Then, to actually be able to read it with relative ease, for two hours in a row. It was, quite frankly, a slice of my own little personal literary heaven!

No comments: